Search This Blog


Friday, July 30, 2010

Last Night's Dinner


I'd like to share with you the new recipes I try, if they are any good of course. So, I happened to have barely in the pantry, who knew! I used to mix it into Emma's baby food to give her some carbs, I had half a bag left. Either Parent's magazine or Fitness Magazine (who knows when you rip the pages out) had a grilled vegetable section in the last mag I read (I'm a couple months behind so it was probably May). Since I am did not dive in to being Vegan, I am getting there slowly, I did have regular Feta in the fridge and only put a little tiny bit on my plate, and the suggested amount on Evan's. It was not a success with Emma, she barely got the fork to her lips and spit it out. She did however eat a whole ear of corn, then chugged chocolate milk until she was full. Evan and I both thought it was delicious! And sorry about the picture, I can't figure out how to turn it, so you will have to turn your head!

Grilled Vegetables over Barley with Feta and Basil
(6 servings, but I cut it in half, except the sauce, I did the suggested amount)

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 cup of barley and boil until tender but slightly chewy, about 45 min. Drain.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the juice of 3 limes, 1 1/2 tbsp honey, 4 garlic cloves, minced, 3/4 tsp kosher salt, 3/4 tsp ground black pepper and 1/8 tsp chili powder. Whisk in 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil. Reserve 1/2 the sauce for barley.
3. Brush 4 ears of corn broken in half with dressing. Toss 2 red bell peppers, seeded and quartered and 12 whole button mushrooms with remaining dressing.
4. Preheat grill to medium high. Season vegetables with kosher salt; grill, turning occasionally, until tender and lightly charred, 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Toss barely with 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil and the reserved dressing. Spoon onto plates and top with vegetables. Sprinkle with 2 tblp chopped fresh basil and 1/3 cup crumbled feta.

448 calories, 10 g protein, 60 g carb, 22 g fat, 10 g fiber

No comments:

Post a Comment