Search This Blog


Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Quinoa and Hummus Sandwich Wrap

As I was getting ready to make dinner this evening, I thought, let's make something simple. We have to go to my dad's for his birthday and Evan has a meeting, so quick and easy is the way I wanted it to be. Quinoa and  Hummus Sandwich wrap...perfect. I happen to have been craving a sandwich for lunch but went with soup instead. Well, might be simple if you had hummus. So these recipes are from The Everything Vegan Cookbook. I am making it for dinner tonight anyway, but this would be a good lunch (and might be lunch tomorrow).

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Yeilds 1 1/2 cups
Ingredients:
15 oz can chickpeas
1/3 cup tahini (which I don't have but I'm gonna make it work anyway)
2/3 cup chopped roasted red peppers
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp cumin
1/3 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)

Process all ingredients together in a blender (for smaller batches I use the magic bullet) or food processor until smooth, scraping the sides down as needed.

I happen to have a jar (as I usually do) of roasted red peppers on hand, but if you don't this Everything cookbook explains how to make them also! 450 degree oven (or broiler setting) drizzle peppers with olive oil. Bake for 30 minutes, turning once. Ta da!

Then I was worried (not sure why) about the lack of flavor, cause something I made the other day isn't even worth posting, it was so bland. Instead of just cooking the quinoa, I made this.

Easy Garlic Quinoa
Serves 4
Ingredients:
1 onion (it says yellow, but I always use red), diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp olive oil or vegan margarine
3 cups vegetable broth, or stock
1 1/2 cup quinoa
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp nutritional yeast

In a large skillet, heat onion and garlic in oil for 3-4 minutes, until onions are soft. Add vegetable broth and quinoa, cover and bring to a simmer. Allow to cook for 15 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Fluff quinoa with a fork and stir in salt and nutritional yeast.

Quinoa and Hummus Sandwich Wrap
Serves 1
Ingredients:
1 tortilla, warmed
3 tbsp hummus
1/3 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp italian or vinaigrette salad dressing
1 roasted red pepper, sliced into strips (I only used half since my hummus had pepper in it)
1/4 cup sprouts (I went with the traditional lettuce, since my sprouting days haven't really started yet, one of these days I will start planting sprouts!)

Spread warm tortilla with a layer of hummus, then quinoa, and drizzle with lemon juice and salad dressing. Layer red pepper and sprouts on top and wrap.

I added (since it's dinner and I wanted it to be a little more filling) sauteed zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms and onions. Served pickles and garlic stuffed olives on the side and sweet potato fries. Yummy.  Emma, unfortunately ate pb and j (but on home-made bread...woo hoo bread maker!).

You should know that I totally have too much time on my hands today, not sure how, but really the house is clean and kid is happy and prefer to use that time in the kitchen. So a simple dinner turned into 3 recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment