Search This Blog


Sunday, August 21, 2011

Hummingbirds

I was under the impression that hummingbirds were hard to attract. That you actually had to put some effort into the right plants in your yard and the right placement of the feeder and so on. As it turns out, this is not true. While my efforts to improve my yard and make it a more suitable habitat for hummingbirds will not stop, I have a hummingbird that frequently comes to my feeder. My flowerbeds are still under construction and there aren't any of the "approved attracting hummingbird plants" in them. The feeder was only hung for about 2 days before I saw my first bird. My theory...either it's a baby and it's really hungry or it hangs out at a neighbor's house and just noticed my feeder. She does come often and it makes this house feel more like home. My list for the week (since I'm all about lists lately) is the best plants to attract Hummingbirds!

Daylily

Columbine




Cardinal Flower



Penstemin



Bee Balm



Hibiscus



Peony



Coral Bells



Garden Phlox



Oriental Poppy


Now that I've typed out the list I realized, I dad plant a hibiscus, but it's blue and I thought hummers were attracted mostly to reds. Anyway, the point is, if you feed them, they will come!


No comments:

Post a Comment