Search This Blog


Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Basic Vegetable Marinara

So, I'm out of spaghetti sauce, but I have noodles that need eaten and meatless meatballs in the freezer. With the Spaghetti Dinner at Valley Forge approaching, I was kind of in the mood for spaghetti. I open the ever handy, Everything Vegan Cookbook, and once again find an awesome recipe, that I just happen to have all the ingredients but one on hand, and it worked with out the olives. Next time, I'll make sure to have a jar of them on hand. Anyway, here it is, yummy sauce.

4 servings
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, sliced thin (I used canned)
2 ribs celery, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 28-oz can diced or stewed tomatoes (I used homemade, canned, stewed)
1 6-oz can tomato paste
1 tsp oregano (I used fresh, chopped)
1 tsp parsley
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup corn (optional, but I used it)
1/2 cup sliced black olives
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp salt

Heat garlic, carrot and celery in olive oil over medium heat, stirring frequently for 4-5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low, then add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, parsley, basil and bay leaves, stirring well to combine. Cover and heat for 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Add corn, olives, vinegar, pepper and salt and simmer for another 5 minutes, uncovered. Remove bay leaves before serving and adjust seasonings to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment