Search This Blog


Monday, August 16, 2010

Organic Housekeeping By: Ellen Sandbeck (Introduction)

I'm barely through the introduction and some of the first chapter. It's more than I expected. I guess I just want a simple solution. She's going into detail about a labeling system and a roladex so I don't have to look for things anymore. I'll be happier when I get to the section about chemicals, I don't think I have too much clutter, and I am pretty good about knowing where everything is. But here is a list of chemicals (that are harmful to you) that you expose yourself to, just by living in your house.

Living Room: Volatile organic compounds, which can outgas for 5 years from new furniture, carpets, upholstery, carpet pads, curtains and paneling; fabric and carpet waterproofing and stain proofing treatments; furniture polish; and antique Mercury barometer.

Kitchen: formaldehyde outgassing from particleboard in new cabinets and countertops, toxic gases produced by overheated nonstick cookware, mold and mildew growing under the sink, cabon monoxide emitted from malfunctioning stove, polycarbonate milk and juice containers, plastic-lined tin cans, vinyl flooring, chlorine-bleach scouring powder, antimicrobial dish liquid, chlorine based dish detergent, spray disinfectant, microwavable plastic foam bowls, plastic food wrap, all-purpose cleaner, bleach, drain cleaner, floor wax, oven cleaner, metal polish, lead-glazed dishes, lead crystal decanters, and pewter drinking mugs

Utility closet: carpet cleaner, room deodorizer and mothballs

Bathroom: chlorine-based cleaners, toilet bowl cleaners and disinfectants, drain cleaner, room deodorants, antimicrobial soap, body and hair care products, antiperspirants, lotions, cosmetics and perfumes that contain endocrine-disruting chemicals, mold and mildew, PVC plumbing pipes, mercury thermometer

Bedroom: freshly dry cleaned clothing emitting perchloroethylene fumes, mattress outgassing formaldehyde, stain repellent, flame retardant, dust mite insecticide, wrinkle-resistant sheets and curtains and clothing emitting formaldehyde fumes

Basement, garage, workshop: gasoline, solvents, paints, paint thinner, lubricants, antifreeze, caulk, glue, lacquer, pesticides, herbicides, degreaser, spray paint, water sealant, rubber cement, turpentine, mineral spirits, lighter fluid and mold

Laundry room: spot removers, chlorine bleach, perfumed fabric softeners and detergents, spray starch

Older homes: lead paint

Now, I'm just hoping she explains what to replace all these with 'cause now she's got me worried. She goes through the evolution of cleaning, before vacuums and washing machines. So far, it's interesting, I just hope I can keep up.

Coming up soon, more recipes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment