Search This Blog


Monday, August 9, 2010

Quesadillas and Banana Muffins

2 new recipes from Skinny Bitch in the Kitch:

Basic Fruit and Nut Muffins
Makes 12 standard sized muffins
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 cups whole wheat flower
1/2 cup Sucanat
1 tbsp Ener-G egg replacer
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
1 1/4 cups soy milk (I used coconut milk)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup fresh or dried fruit (I used banana)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional, I didn't because my daughter wouldn't like it)

Preheat oven- 375
Grease muffin tins or use liners.
Large bowl, combine, flour, Sucanat, baking powder, salt and egg replacer.
In medium bowl, whisk, soy milk, oil and vanilla.
Add milk mixture to flour mixture, stir until barely combined.
Stir in fruit and nuts.
Transfer to muffin tins dividing evenly.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean.

Delicious!!! The whole family likes these.

And last nights dinner cause I needed something different.

Quesadilla with Beans, Soy Cheese, Guacamole, and Salsa
1/2 tbsp refined coconut oil
2 whole wheat flour tortillas (I used sprouted wheat)
5 oz vegan cheddar or Jack (i used mozz cause that's what I had)
1/3 cup drained black or pinto beans (I used white beans, cause that's what I had)
1/2 cup salsa (I had homemade, yum)
1/4 cup quacamole, homemade (recipe in the book, but I used my own recipe)

Spread coconut oil on one side of each tortilla, place this side down.
Arrange cheese on top (I used mexican mix shredded cheese on Evan's) dividing evenly, covering only half the tortilla and leaving a 1-inch border at the edge. Arrange the beans and 2 tbsps of the salsa on top of the cheese (Evan suggested next time, leaving salsa on the side and adding peppers and onions to tortilla). Fold in half.

In large skillet, over medium heat, cook quesadillas, covered until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Flip and cook, uncovered, until the second side is browned and cheese has melted (about 2 minutes). Cut in wedges and serve with side of guac, or put guac and the rest of the salsa on top.

Also delicious and totally hit the spot. I needed something, sort of "normal" to stop the cravings for non-vegan food. It worked!

No comments:

Post a Comment